Last night eWater Systems was announced as a finalist of both the Small Business and Federal Ministers award at the 2019 Banksia Sustainability Awards held in Sydney.
- eWater Systems was announced as finalists in the Federal Ministers and Small Business Award at the Banksia Sustainability Awards.
- These awards recognise Australia’s progress toward the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- eWater is a market leader in sustainable hygiene solutions that enable businesses to reduce their reliance on conventional hygiene chemicals.
- eWater is used by wide range of organisations across Australia including Australian Government House, Taronga Zoo, Commonwealth Bank, Rockpool Group, Monash Health, Griffith University, Regis Aged Care and YMCA Childcare Centres.
Recognising our impact in helping businesses swap harsh hygiene chemicals for environmentally friendly alternatives, the recognition culminates a big year for eWater Systems after also recognised globally by B Corporation for environmental impact for the third year running.
About the Awards
Regarded as the most prestigious and longest running sustainability awards in Australia, The Banksia Sustainability Awards recognise individuals, communities, businesses and government for innovation and excellence in environmental and social stewardship. Aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the awards are designed to be a gauge of Australia’s progress towards sustainable development.
Phil Gregory, Founder of eWater Systems reflected that –
“For us, this award reflects an inflection point where both business and people are now recognising the need to reduce their chemical footprint – both for the environment and for the well-being of their team and customers”.
The iconic Taronga Zoo in Sydney is one customer who implemented eWater. Committed to reducing the impact of their zoo’s operation through a process of continual improvement and integration of our sustainability objectives into everything we do, eWater was a natural fit.
In support of the eWater award submission, Anne Kehlhofer, Manager of Environmental Sustainability at Taronga noted that –
“eWater contributes well do our broader sustainability program and helps us reduce our chemical footprint… using eWater ensures that all basic cleaning and sanitising products can be substituted by this marvellously effective, safe and environmentally friendly alternative”.
Interested in learning more? Request a copy of our sustainability guide.
The UN Sustainable Development Goals
The Sustainable Development Goals are the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. They address the global challenges we face, including those related to poverty, inequality, climate change, environmental degradation, peace and justice.
How do Chemicals Fit it?
It is well known that production & consumption of chemicals is a significant contributor to climate change. In March 2019, the UN released their second Chemical Outlook Report which highlighted –
We cannot achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) without the sound management of chemicals and waste.The global goal to minimize adverse impacts of chemicals and waste will not be achieved by 2020. Solutions exist, but more ambitious worldwide action by all stakeholders is urgently required.
How does eWater contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals?
eWater has been found to contribute to at least 7 SDG’s with the potential to support a global reduction in synthetic chemicals for cleaning and infection control.
SDG – 3
- eWater protects human health from exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- It has been found to replace up to 80% of synthetic chemicals per site.
- Has replaced over 83,706,480 litres of synthetic diluted chemicals.
- Reduced incidence of skin irritation from hand washing & risk of burns
SDG – 6
- eWater is biodegradable and grey water recycling safe
- It keeps water in our ecosystem clean and pollution free
SDG – 11
- eWater supports future proof cities, saves operating costs, reduces food and other waste.
- As a result costs for businesses reduced by 95% saving over $8m to date.
- Sanitiser proven to extend shelf life of fresh produce
SDG – 12
- eWater reduces the consumption of packaged chemicals and plastic.
SDG – 13
- eWater supports the reduction in climate risk from impacts of production & transport of chemicals.
- Reduced carbon and chemical footprint.
SDG – 14
- Conserve oceans by stopping synthetic chemical and plastic waste.
- Up to 83m chemicals and 111m plastic bottles replaced to date.
SDG – 15
- eWater reduces land pollution from chemical production and waste.
eWater Systems, based in Melbourne, is a market leader in electrolysed water technology that provides an effective alternative for businesses looking for an alternative to conventional cleaning and infection control chemicals. With a fast growing and diverse set of customers that range from hospitals to childcare, leading restaurants and even Zoo’s, eWater is quietly revolutionizing the cleaning and hygiene industry.
The success of businesses such as eWater Systems continues to demonstrate the groundswell of businesses demanding sustainable solutions across their operations, highlighted in point by Phil Gregory noting that “our customers are the driving force in the movement towards reducing their chemical footprint”.